The Mission Nutrition Facilitator's Course is a standardized, science-based nutrition education workshop designed to help educate Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) fitness instructors and culinary specialists on nutrition topics affecting Sailors, family members and retirees. Upon completion of the course, facilitators will have increased knowledge in the following subject areas:
- Obesity - Risks and obesity related diseases
- Impact of sedentary lifestyles
- Weight gain prevention and weight loss
- Eating for optimal health and performance
- Mindless and emotional eating
- Fad diets
- Eating on the go
- Performance Nutrition
- Meal Planning
- Grocery shopping strategies
- Food preparation safety
*Students are required to demonstrate necessary presentation skills and successfully pass the written exam to become Mission Nutrition facilitators.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Educate large and small populations on many important nutrition topics.
- Personal Trainers will be able to explain basic nutrition concepts to their clients within the personal trainer's "scope of practice."
- Provide basic food preparation and storage recommendations to healthy clients.
- Determine when a client's nutritional issues are outside the personal trainer's "scope of practice" and refer appropriately.