R 071628Z JUL 20 MID110000814653U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUL//
SUBJ/PHYSICAL READINESS PROGRAM POLICY UPDATE FOR PHYSICAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT CYCLE TWO 2020 DUE TO COVID 19 MITIGATION//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/181759ZMAR20//
REF/B/RMG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/191853ZMAY20//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 071/20, PHYSICAL READINESS POLICY UPDATE.
REF B IS NAVADMIN 145/20, ADVANCEMENT ELIGIBILITY RELATED TO CHANGES TO THE NAVY-WIDE ADVANCEMENT EXAM AND PHYSICAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT SCHEDULES DUE TO COVID-19 MITIGATION.
REF C IS OPNAVINST 6110.1J, PHYSICAL READINESS PROGRAM.
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the suspension of the Navy Physical Readiness Program Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) for Cycle 2, 2020 and updates policy guidance pertaining to future Physical Readiness Test (PRT) modalities provided in reference (a). The COVID-19 situation requires that we continue to minimize risk to personnel, therefore all personnel will be EXCUSED from participation in Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020.
2. Suspension includes both the official Body Composition Assessment (BCA) and PRT components of the PFA.
a. The Physical Readiness Program office will update Physical Readiness Information Management System (PRIMS) to reflect EXCUSED for Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020 (only) for both BCA and PRT. Command Fitness Leaders (CFL) and Assistant CFLs (ACFL) are directed not to make any official PFA entries in PRIMS for the official Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020.
b. All Navy commands are to continue the suspension of all organized or group physical training (PT) (i.e. Command, Department or Division PT and the Fitness Enhancement Program (FEP)), until further notice.
c. Exceptions to paragraph 2.a and 2.b:
(1) Accessions missions (e.g., recruit training) and the appropriate Echelon II commander with authority to delegate to the first flag officer in the chain of command may grant unit mission training requirements.
(2) Regaining advancement/retention eligibility. As outlined in reference (b), Sailors can regain eligibility by passing an unofficial (mock) PFA within Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020.
3. Guidelines for administering a mock PFA for Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020. Mock PFA will be conducted when COVID-19 conditions permit following local area and installation guidance (e.g. Stage 2). The mock PFA must be conducted as outlined in reference (c) with the following exceptions:
a. Consist of no more than 10 people, to include CFL and ACFL.
b. Ensure proper medical screening.
c. Conduct BCA with the following modifications to follow social distancing practices:
(a) Perform COVID-19 symptom screening and temperature check immediately prior to the BCA.
(b) Limit close contact to less than 15 minutes per person.
(c) Must wear a mask at all times during the BCA.
(d) Must wear disposable gloves during all circumference measurements. Disposable gloves must be replaced after each circumference measurement for each member.
(e) Disinfect scales, height measurement apparatus, pens and tape measures between each use.
(f) Designate only one person as recorder for each BCA session.
(2) Service Member:
(a) Must wear a mask at all times during the BCA.
(b) Self-reporting. If feeling ill during BCA, Service Member must report to medical department or local Medical Treatment Facility for further medical evaluation.
d. Conduct mock PRT with the following modifications to follow social distancing practices:
(1) To mitigate COVID-19 concerns, curl-ups are prohibited for the mock PFA.
(2) Personnel will only be tested on push-ups and the 1.5 mile run or approved alternate cardio (i.e. stationary bike, swim, treadmill) where available. Protective face masks are prohibited for members
while performing the mock PRT.
(3) Self-reporting. If Service Member response to pre- physical activity questions requires medical assistance, member must report to medical and be medically cleared before participating in mock PRT.
(4) Disinfect floor-mats and all alternate cardio equipment between each use.
(5) Designate only one person as recorder for each PRT session.
e. All mock PFAs must be entered in PRIMS under the FEP tab of the Service Member to document their BCA and PRT results within 30 days and prior to regaining advancement/retention.
4. Although the Navy PFA Cycle 2, 2020 has been excused, Sailors are reminded to make good choices for a healthy diet and are to continue a level of fitness to maintain Navy physical fitness standards. Commander Navy Installations Command Morale, Welfare and Recreation Fitness Program has put together a Navy Operational Fitness and Fueling System (NOFFS) 5-week conditioning plan, located at https://www.navyfitness.org/fitness/5-week-training-plan to assist Sailors in maintaining Navy physical fitness standards. Individuals and commands are highly encouraged to use the NOFFS 5- week conditioning plan to improve operational readiness and reduce the severity of injury.
5. Future changes to PRT Modalities. The previously announced changes to the PRT modalities (replacement of curl-ups with plank and addition of rower alternative cardio option) will be implemented for cycle 1, 2021. Sailors will be provided additional guidance at a later time. Sailors will be given ample time to practice the plank before it is officially counted for a PRT score (i.e., no plank failures will be counted on initial implementation)
6. Questions and concerns regarding these policy changes may be referred to the Physical Readiness Program at PRIMS(at)navy.mil or (901) 874-2210.
7. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//